July 4, 2011

Hallowed Day: 4th of July

A friend said to me, "I can't even imagine how the 4th of July feels for veterans..." and "Did you ever get hurt in the line of duty?" I shared with her my being wounded in mind for the last 20 years. She asked me how I deal with it on a day like today. My response, "I cry a lot, mourn some more, write, pray and force myself to be around people." I'm watching the fireworks outside my window wishing I had someone to share the sight with.

ON this day I remember the people who gave their lives so that I may go on. This actually has meaning for those of us who witness these selfless acts of compassion and unabashed brotherhood; they have forever changed us. Can you imagine what it feels like have someone forfeit their life so you may live? How can one live up to a sacrifice so profound? I carry this weight every day, but today I feel it especially deep and heavy.

To find my purpose is to find a way; My Purpose is My Life. My purpose and mission is to bring awareness to Combat PTSD and TBI. The song lyric, "Uncle Sam put you at the top of his list...", makes me think of massive effort needed to help veterans. We've exhausted our most wanted list and our high value targets. Now is the time to move on down to the veterans list, who fought these wars for the last 20 years, let's get on that list.

3 comments:

  1. I can completely relate. As we left my families celebration on the 4th, my husband asked me: "Im never going to see a big smile from you on the 4th am I?" Everyday is hard with PTSD but on a day that is dedicated to our freedom its especially hard not to think of all the people lost defending it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can completely relate. As we left my families celebration on the 4th, my husband asked me: "Im never going to see a big smile from you on the 4th am I?" Everyday is hard with PTSD but on a day that is dedicated to our freedom its especially hard not to think of all the people lost defending it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is a mother of a task to not freak out at times, especially when we are forced to face the realities of war. It does get easier if we apply ourselves to healing our spirit and mind.

    This forth of July was hard for me, more so than usual. But, I came away from this holiday with a new way to frame my first combat experience. I will remember the Marines who sacrificed their lives so that I may live. I must live so that their deaths have a profound meaning in my life, to live is to honor their lives and deaths.

    ReplyDelete

Please share your comments, stories and information. Thank you. ~ Scott Lee